WH TOURS will answer all requests by return email within 72 hours, including information about the availability of the requested tour, hotels and tour prices.
Reservations and confirmations
The confirmation for the selected tour in the reservation form, including the detailed itinerary with a specification of services and additional information will be sent by email to the customer as a travel contract within 72 hours after the customer has transfered the appropriate amount for the selected tour ( down-payment of 20 % of the total tour price ) to one of our bank accounts ( we will send you our bank data by email ):
Reservations must be addressed by email to our office: email@example.com
Address: Av. Mariscal Castilla 560, Dpto. 102, Chorrillos, Lima - Peru
Phone: 0051-1-2510368 Mobile phone: 0051-959940854
All rates will be indicated in $ US dollars, per passenger, they are net and valid for the current year 2016. Prices may be subject to change due to currency fluctuations or other unpredictable reasons. In the event of changes due to the above-named reasons, WH TOURS will contact the customer(s) inmediately in order to inform about alteration in prices.
Down-payment of 20 % of the total tour price on one of our bank accounts within 1 week after having received the travel contract and invoice, 30 % 1 month prior to the start of the tour and 50 % 2 weeks before the tour begins.
We have considered two categories of hotels, 3 and 4 stars. Please mention the category when filling in the reservation form. We can, of course, also make reservations at hotels of your choice. In case that the selected hotel is unable to be confirmed, we reserve the right to substitute it with another one of the same category. The confirmation for the hotel will also be sent to you by email.
The customer can withdraw from a confirmed tour, but has to pay to WH TOURS the following percentages of the agreed tour price as a compensation:
All transfers ( airport – hotel – airport ) are included.
Only breakfasts are included, lunches and dinners are at clients´expense.
The excursions during the tours are made by private cars or vans, operated by experienced drivers and accompanied by one of our bilingual or trilingual guides ( English, German, French, Spanish ). For some long distance routes we offer as a lower-cost alternative first class public bus services ( e.g. Trujillo – Chiclayo – Piura ). We reserve the right to change parts of the selected tour, routes or timetables with or without prior notice, when circumstances beyond our control make such changes necessary. Portions of the itinerary included in the tour and not used by the client, including hotel accommodation, sightseeing tours etc. are not refundable.
WH TOURS is responsible for the tour services offered on our website, relating to transportation, guidance, accommodation etc., whereas all other things such as passports, visas and health requirements are the responsibility of the client. We recommend that you obtain a travel insurance for burglary, accidents and medical coverage. While exercising every possible precaution, we are not responsible for injury, sickness, damage, theft, additional expenses or other irregularities which may be caused either through willful or negligent acts or omissions on the part of companies or individuals, providing or engaged in transportation, accommodation or other services or through natural disasters, social upheavals or other acts of god.